Acts as Packaging Specialist for Chicago Tribune with responsibility for performing all related functions of the packaging operation under direction of supervisory personnel to enable the department to achieve optimum efficiency of all Daily and Sunday products.
- To operate lift truck and/or mule to transport preprinted material to and from storage or processing areas
- To participate in team problem solving that will result in providing a consistent high quality product
- To monitor and/or operate automatic equipment and systems including, but not limited to, stackers, tyers, lifts, conveyors, hopper loaders, insert feeding stations, palletizers, labelers, stretch wrap machine, Schur system, etc.
- Operate and troubleshoot palletizer, inserting and stretchwrap equipment and understand manual and automatic controls
- To feed free standing inserts into inserting machinery
- To replace stretch film and read and understand labels
- To monitor overall production flow and check for quality, accuracy and product integrity
- To maintain ongoing communication with inserting Technician operator
- To complete daily reports as required by Team Lead
- To maintain positive working relationships at all levels of the organization
- To train new employees on any packaging related tasks as assigned by supervisory personnel
- To manually pile/unpile bundles of newspaper or free standing insertsTo perform additional departmental tasks as assigned by supervisory personnel
- To meet productivity, reliability and quality standards and goal
- To be familiar with and adhere to department policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards of performance, attendance policy, safety policy, code of conduct policy, housekeeping, etc
- To identify equipment malfunctions and request service from maintenance department
- Should have a High School diploma or equivalent to
- Above average problem solving skills necessary to monitor and repair automatic
- inserting and backline equipment
- Typically requires one to two years of experience in a high volume production operation that meet standards in all aspects of the Packaging Specialist requirements.
- Requires physical dexterity to lift and move material, must be able to stand for long periods of time and must be able to lift or pile newspaper products that vary in weight from five to fifty pounds
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, use hands to finger, feel and reach with hands and arms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to change work assignments on short notice and be flexible in scheduling
- Must have computer aptitude
- Position requires working in production areas while forklifts, pallet jacks, inserting and related equipment is in use
- Working in this environment directly results in exposure to paper dust in the air and high noise levels from running equipment
- ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to work 10hr-12hr shifts
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- Must be able to wear steel toed safety shoes
- Must be able to wear earplugs
- Must be able to wear safety goggles (if applicable)
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed